Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Rhythm of Love

During a meditation not long ago I heard the message that my heart beats to the rhythm of love.  I’ve often meditated on the meaning of listening to the rhythms of our heart.  In Chinese medicine, the heart is seen as the connection between the mind and the body, forming a bridge between the two of them.  The essence of the Yogic traditions identifies the heart as the seat of individual consciousness and the center of life. 

Neuroscientists have discovered that the heart has its own independent nervous system.  For me, this makes perfect sense knowing that the heart starts beating in the unborn fetus even before the brain has been formed.  The heart communicates with the brain and the rest of the body in three scientifically proven areas: neurologically (through transmissions of nerve impulses), biochemically (through hormones and neurotransmitters), and biophysically (through pressure waves). The research is also pretty distinct regarding the electromagnetic communication between the heart, the brain and every cell of our body similar to the information carried by radio waves.  Not only is this detectable in our body but evidence is showing that this energy is also detectable by others within its range of communication.

The heart generates the largest electromagnetic field in the body.  Measuring with an electrocardiogram (ECG) versus an electroencephalogram (EEG) shows that the heart has about 60 times the amplitude as the brain and that the magnetic component of the heart’s field is about 5000 times stronger than the brain’s!  HeartMath’s research is fascinating and you can read more about it at www.heartmath.org.

What I continue to learn on a daily basis is that staying present to my heart shows me the way to better health.  I am aware that my emotional management is a significant factor in balancing all areas of my life.  The more I listen to and follow my heart and its “rhythms” the more my emotions stay in coherence with the Health that lies within, making it less likely to experience disease.



No comments:

Post a Comment