Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Holding Space

In my last entry I said that the model of craniosacral work I follow is based on doing nothing.  I've had many conversations about it since that time. It’s a challenging place to be since our society is so geared towards “doing”.  Then, I wondered if that was an adequate description for what transpires on my table.

I was also moved towards that thinking from a book I’ve been reading about the scientific approach towards craniosacral therapy.  This author’s basis is steeped in Global Scaling which is a mathematical description of how the material universe works.  This ordering principle is based on wave patterns and how they exist in animate and inanimate organisms. They transmit information such as the communication that occurs between different organs in our bodies or the information that sound waves provide for us.

There are wave patterns that are less than seconds long and waves that oscillate back and forth only once in countless billions of years!  They are all connected and communicating with each other.  Our bodies are oscillating with the rhythm of the Universe and beyond.

When I say that I do nothing in a craniosacral session I’ve been feeling that even those words are totally inadequate.  Words are tough to describe experiential events because we know that there is no dance; there is only the dancer.  What I perceive is different from what anyone else perceives even if we are in the same place at the same time watching the same event.

During a craniosacral session I sit in silence paying attention to whatever arises and something happens.  Is that really doing nothing?  Isn’t the mere fact that I am sitting with my client changing the dynamics?  Global scaling shows that anything that happens here on earth on a small scale can be perceived billions of light years away and exerts the same effect.  Stillness and emptiness still has movement.  My stillness interfacing with my client’s stillness can’t really be “nothing”.  My intention can be to do nothing but sit in stillness and remain aware.  But on the quantum level of understanding even that is something.

As I ponder the consequences of doing nothing I suppose I can say that what I do is to sit in stillness with my clients and the whole of the Universe moves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment