Monday, March 7, 2011

Living Forces

“I’m treating to restore health.
I’m not treating to correct the problem.
In treating this way, I have opened the doors
for the body to try to do what it wants to
with its own living forces.”
Dr. R. E. Becker, DO

This is a basic premise of this work that is called Biodynamic Craniosacral Therapy.  I find it challenging to put a name onto what it is that I do because at the heart of it I am really not doing anything.  I am allowing your inherent health to manifest itself.  Dr. Becker said he was treating and if we had more doctors in our health care system that felt this was treating then we would certainly have less disease and more health because we have a propensity to move towards health if given the proper tools.

For some people I imagine that this philosophy is challenging.  If I spent money on something where the practitioner said she wasn’t doing anything I would sure want something to happen.  That is my desire but it may not be what needs to happen.  My body on a very deep level of being knows what it needs.  This is why I love this work.  I can put my hands on someone and know that if I stay present and appreciative of whatever arises that person as well as myself will benefit on some level.  And I can have the same expectation when someone puts their hands on me from this space of openness to the Infinite.

For me, sometimes it is not always apparent where I have benefited.  Sometimes I may have a set back.  When I can comprehend that life is a journey and not a destination I have a connection to Dr. Becker’s statement.  I have choices in my life.  What I do with those choices and how I respond to every situation takes me where I need to go.  Is it always where I expected?  Or where I wanted?  Of course not but I do understand that it is where I have the greatest need in that moment.  And then I move to the next moment and the next choice.  And don’t let me fool anyone.  Yes, sometimes there is resistance.

My body’s physical health cannot be separated out from this philosophy.  My journey is for the whole of my being – body, mind, spirit and whatever else may exist there.  Sometimes it just isn’t convenient to be sick or in pain but when I can allow that to be what it is, my responses are so much more in the flow of life processes and the next moment becomes another opportunity on a different level than if I had resisted.  I am finding that the more I can practice this the more contentment I find in the journey.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. STILLNESS

    I Do Nothing,
    and the people transform themselves.
    I love Stillness,
    and the people bring themselves to correctness.
    I do No Work,
    and the people enrich themselves.
    1 have no desires,
    and the people by themselves become Simple.

    “The Dao of the Dao de Ching”.
    Translated by Michael Lafargue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well said. Especially, "I can put my hands on someone and know that if I stay present and appreciative of whatever arises that person as well as myself will benefit on some level."

    I wish I had your gift of writing with such fluidity and I admire anyone who can do the blog thing. Writing, for me, is a necessary chore and I avoid it whenever possible.

    Julia Marie

    ReplyDelete