Friday, December 10, 2010

Knowing who I am

Knowing who I am goes beyond concepts.  Knowing who I am has absolutely nothing to do with the ideas floating around in my head.  My roles are separate from who I am – they are identifications with form.

Being rooted in my being is beyond words.  When my attention moves fully into the present moment I can go deeper into being.  This deeper dimension is of the sacred and I can enter this by being present with attention in the now.  I am rooted in being instead of being lost in my mind.

Who I am has absolutely nothing to do with any thoughts that I have.  On our tombstone there will be the date of birth and the date of death.  And the dash.  That is our life.  But, there is something deeper than just that.

Knowing myself and knowing about myself.  The about is my name, my occupation, where I live, what I like to do, etc.  The knowing is actually experiencing who I am – being who I am – in touch with that deeper being.  This can only be accessed in the present moment.

I need to make room for that – becoming alert to the aliveness of my inner body – that which actually animates my physical form.  When I know myself to be more than my labels then I can become more.  It allows me to grow.

All stress comes from resisting the present moment.  It does not come from the situation but from the thoughts of the situation.  I want the situation to be different than what it is.  I’m suggesting maybe we can teach ourselves to be okay with the present situation.  Perhaps we can learn to watch our minds and the thoughts that float through.

We usually find it difficult to control our minds.  It’s like a balloon in the wind – here, there and everywhere.  If things go well, we’re happy.  Bad, we’re immediately unhappy. 

We get what we want – a new possession or new partner – we become excited and cling to it.  But, we can’t have everything we want and we will inevitably be separated from friends and possessions we currently enjoy.  This mental stickiness (attachment) serves to cause us pain.

On the other hand, if we do not get what we want or we lose something we like we become despondent or irritated.  For example, we are forced to work with a colleague that we don’t like.  This causes us aggravation and the result is that we are unable to work with her efficiently and our time is stressful and unrewarding.

These fluctuations arise because we are too closely involved in the external situation.  We’re like a child that builds a sandcastle.  We’re excited when it’s finished and then upset when the tide washes it away.

This is why I’m suggesting that we culture a relationship with our inner selves in the here and now.  This present moment awareness radiates effortlessly and automatically.  We do not need to DO anything to BE present.  All that is required is that we choose to be present with our SELF.  Our present moment awareness breaks through any walls that are created by fear, anger and grief.  It heals all the wounds inflicted by careless thoughts, words and deeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment